1401 Main Street
In 1898, Costante Bertagnolli and his sons owned this two-story building with a Greek Revival fašade featuring four large white columns and a balcony. This family also farmed and sold some of their produce at this general store. Token coins were used to barter labor for groceries and other goods. Mr. Bertagnolli was a prominent businessman. He was one of the first merchants to provide home delivery of groceries, a wonderful convenience for the homemakers. In the early mornings, orders were picked up from the private homes and in the afternoons merchandise was delivered by horse-drawn wagon. Mr. Bertagnolli was never too busy to stop and give children, playing along the route, a brief ride on his tall wagon loaded with treasures.